Welcome to Horizon 100 Cycling.
Cycling is a fun fitness activity, that is even more enjoyable in a group.
Horizon 100’s focus is on helping beginners achieve the fitness and skills to ride in a group, in an enjoyable and supportive atmosphere.
Every April, Horizon 100 offers a 2 day cycling boot camp that gives riders an introduction to group riding. In 2019, the boot camp will be held on April 27th and 28th. In these 2 days you will learn:
- how to ride safely in a pace line, including safe spacing
- how to keep a lookout for, and warn the group, of hazards
- hand signals used
- the benefits of drafting
- and other useful skills
Every Monday and Thursday evening, from May through August, the Horizon 100 Lite Rides offer a great opportunity for new riders to practice their riding skills and build fitness. Lite rides are divided into 3 groups by speed, with the first group going no faster than 20km/h and no faster than the slowest rider.
Horizon 100 runs social events to spend time with other members when not on the bike. These include pot-luck suppers, pizza nights and barbecues.
What will you need? You don’t need any fancy equipment to join us. But you will need:
- Membership with the SCA and with Horizon 100
- Your bike, maintained and ready to ride – any bike will do to start but you will find a road bike easier to use on longer rides
- A helmet (mandatory for all club rides)
- Appropriate clothing
o Cycling shorts are recommended, strongly recommended for longer rides
o Appropriate clothes for the conditions (it can be cold in May)
o Cycling shoes are recommended but not essential. If you do wear cycling shoes, ensure you are comfortable getting your feet in and out of the clips.
- Bring your cell phone (just in case!!)
- Carry a spare inner tube and a pump/inflator (if you are just starting a spare tube should be enough.)
- Water bottle (filled with water, Gatorade, etc), on a warm night you will dehydrate fast.
Still have questions? Please get in touch with us. Email us at email@example.com.